According to PROZIPCODES, Raymondville, Texas is situated in the Rio Grande Valley of South Texas. It is located in Willacy County, and is a rural town with a population of about 11,000 people. The city has a humid subtropical climate with hot summers and mild winters. The average temperature in the summer ranges from 80-90 degrees Fahrenheit, while the average winter temperature ranges from 40-50 degrees Fahrenheit.
The history of Raymondville dates back to 1831 when it was founded as a Spanish land grant by Jose Narciso Cavazos. In 1848, it became part of the United States after the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo was signed. Since then, Raymondville has grown into a thriving community with strong ties to agriculture and industry. The economy in Raymondville is mainly driven by agriculture and oil production. Cotton and sorghum are some of the main crops grown in this region as well as vegetables such as tomatoes and peppers. Oil production is also important to this area as it provides jobs for many people throughout Willacy County.
Raymondville is served by three public school districts: Raymondville Independent School District, La Villa Independent School District, and Lyford Consolidated Independent School District. These districts provide quality education for students from kindergarten through high school graduation. In addition to these school systems, there are also several private schools available for those seeking an alternative education option.
In terms of landmarks, there are several notable sites within Raymondville including the famous Raymond Mound Archeological Site which contains artifacts from ancient Native American cultures that lived in this region thousands of years ago; The Willacy County Historical Museum which contains exhibits about local history; The Hidalgo County Courthouse which serves as a reminder of the city’s past; And finally La Lomita Mission which is an old Catholic mission that was once used to bring Christianity to this area during Spanish colonial times.
Population: 9,733. Estimated population in July 2020: 9,483 (-2.6% change)
Males: 5,258 (54.0%), Females: 4,475 (46.0%)
Zip code: 78580
Median resident age: 29.5 years
Median household income: $19,729
Median house value: $32,500
Races in Raymondville:
- Hispanic (86.6%)
- Other race (23.3%)
- White Non-Hispanic (9.1%)
- Black (3.9%)
- Two or more races (2.2%)
- American Indian (0.7%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: United States (3.0%), German (1.2%).
Elevation: 37 feet
Land area: 3.8 square miles
Raymondville is a small city in Willacy County, Texas. According to the 2010 US Census, the population of Raymondville was 11,284. The city is predominantly Hispanic or Latino, with 82.5% of the population identifying as such. The median household income in Raymondville is around $26,000 and 17.7% of the population lives below the poverty line.
The majority of Raymondville residents are employed in agriculture-related industries such as farming and ranching; other major industries include manufacturing and retail trade. Education levels are relatively low in Raymondville with only 8% of adults having a bachelor’s degree or higher; however, there are several educational institutions that serve the area including South Texas College and Coastal Bend College which offer courses for students seeking higher education opportunities. There is also a high school located within the city limits that provides education to local students from grades 9-12. In addition to educational opportunities, there are also several recreational activities available for residents including parks, golf courses and lakes for fishing and boating activities.
For population 25 years and over in Raymondville
- High school or higher: 46.0%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 6.9%
- Graduate or professional degree: 1.9%
- Unemployed: 14.9%
- Mean travel time to work: 18.7 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Raymondville city
- Never married: 30.8%
- Now married: 48.9%
- Separated: 3.5%
- Widowed: 7.4%
- Divorced: 9.4%
11.5% Foreign born (11.3% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: +779 (+8.7%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Raymondville:
- RIO GRANDE STATE CENTER (about 21 miles; HARLINGEN, TX)
- SOUTH TEXAS HOSPITAL (about 21 miles; HARLINGEN, TX)
- VALLEY BAPTIST MEDICAL CENTER (about 21 miles; HARLINGEN, TX)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Raymondville:
- VALLEY INTL (about 21 miles; HARLINGEN, TX; Abbreviation: HRL)
- MC ALLEN MILLER INTL (about 38 miles; MC ALLEN, TX; Abbreviation: MFE)
- BROWNSVILLE/SOUTH PADRE ISLAND INT’L (about 48 miles; BROWNSVILLE, TX; Abbreviation: BRO)
Other public-use airports nearest to Raymondville:
- EDINBURG INTL (about 24 miles; EDINBURG, TX; Abbreviation: 25R)
- CHARLES R JOHNSON (about 25 miles; PORT MANSFIELD, TX; Abbreviation: T05)
- MID VALLEY (about 26 miles; WESLACO, TX; Abbreviation: T65)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Raymondville:
- TEXAS STATE TECHNICAL COLLEGE-HARLINGEN (about 21 miles; HARLINGEN, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,167)
- THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS-PAN AMERICAN (about 30 miles; EDINBURG, TX; Full-time enrollment: 9,651)
- SOUTH TEXAS COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 37 miles; MCALLEN, TX; Full-time enrollment: 7,142)
- THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS AT BROWNSVILLE (about 43 miles; BROWNSVILLE, TX; Full-time enrollment: 6,044)
- TEXAS SOUTHMOST COLLEGE (about 43 miles; BROWNSVILLE, TX; Full-time enrollment: 4,556)
- TEXAS A & M UNIVERSITY-KINGSVILLE (about 70 miles; KINGSVILLE, TX; Full-time enrollment: 4,860)
- TEXAS A & M UNIVERSITY-CORPUS CHRISTI (about 90 miles; Corpus Christi, TX; Full-time enrollment: 5,282)
Public high school in Raymondville:
- RAYMONDVILLE H S (Students: 638; Location: FM 3168; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Raymondville:
- PITTMAN ELEMENTARY (Students: 743; Location: ONE BEARKAT BLVD; Grades: PK – 05)
- SMITH EL (Students: 566; Location: ONE BEARKAT BLVD; Grades: PK – 05)
- MYRA GREEN MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 565; Location: ONE BEARKAT BLVD; Grades: 06 – 08)
Library in Raymondville:
- REBER MEMORIAL LIBRARY (Operating income: $135,022; Location: 193 N 4TH ST; 54,772 books; 535 audio materials; 2,180 video materials; 60 serial subscriptions)