Cameroon Military

Cameroon 1997

Cameroon is a country located in Africa. According to AbbreviationFinder, CM is the two-letter ISO code of Cameroon, and CMR is the three-letter country abbreviation for Cameroon.

Yearbook 1997

Cameroon. According to Countryaah, the national day of Cameroon is May 20. Parliamentary elections were held in May – an election that would have been held in March but postponed. President Paul Biya’s party Rassemblement Démocratique du Peuple Cameroonais (RDPC) won a major victory, taking 109 of the 180 seats in Parliament. The government party was accused of electoral fraud. Several people were killed during elections on Election Day and many of the 3.5 million. voters could not vote because they did not receive their voting cards.

Cameroon Military

At the October presidential election, President Biya was re-elected for a second seven-year term. He received 92% of the vote, the other six candidates 8%. The country’s three major parties boycotted the election and accused the president of manipulating the election process. From an official point of view it was announced that turnout was 81%, but the opposition’s estimate indicated that only 20% of the population had voted.

  • Shopareview: Offers climate information of Cameroon in Spring, Summer, Autumn, and Winter, covering maximum and minimum temperature for each of 12 months. Also includes when is best time to visit this country.


New quick loan for corona control

November 5

The IMF grants Cameroon an additional $ 156 million in Rapid Credit Facility (RCF), intended to support the fight against the economic effects of the corona pandemic. Previously, Cameroon received a similar payment of $ 226 million (see May 2020). The country’s economy is in crisis due to declining oil revenues and increased spending on health care, social services and poverty reduction.

Leaders of MDC’s women’s union are sentenced to prison

November 23

A military court has sentenced law student Fri Awasum Mispa, chairwoman of the opposition women’s party MRC, to six months in prison for “planning a revolution and uprising”. Mispa was arrested on November 21 along with about 20 other women when they demonstrated in Yaoundé demanding that MRC leader Maurice Kamto be released. Kamto has been under house arrest surrounded by police since he was released from prison after strong pressure from the outside world. He was imprisoned between January and October 2019 without charge, accused of incitement after leading a government-critical demonstration. The other women who demonstrated with Mispa were released after several hours of interrogation.

Schools become targets in the conflict

November 4

The government announces that four schools in the English-speaking regions have been attacked by separatists in the past two days. Six teachers and ten students have been temporarily removed from a Protestant school in Kumbo in the northwest. In Bamenda in the northwest, separatists fire sharply at a high school and at a third school in the same region, some school children are temporarily abducted. In the southwest, a school has burned down. Attacks on schools, teachers and students have increased since 2017 when the separatist uprising broke out. The schools have become a target for the separatists who see the school system as part of the central government. In November 2019, 855,000 children in the English-speaking regions did not go to school, according to the UN Children’s Fund Unicef. Around 90 percent of the elementary schools and 77 percent of the extension stages were kept closed, according to Unicef.