Antigua and Barbuda Military

Antigua and Barbuda 1997

Antigua and Barbuda is a country located in North America. According to AbbreviationFinder, AG is the two-letter ISO code of Antigua and Barbuda, and ATG is the three-letter country abbreviation for Antigua and Barbuda.

Yearbook 1997

Antigua and Barbuda. In April, Lester Bird, the country’s prime minister, resigned as chairman of the Caribbean Community (CARICOM, Caribbean Community). At the CARICOM Summit in July, the 15 Member States took another step towards establishing a common Caribbean market in 1999. According to Countryaah, the national day of Antigua and Barbuda is November 1. Antigua and Barbuda Parliament President Bridgette Harris, one of only 17 female speakers in the world, participated with Birgitta Dahl in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, at the annual conference of female speakers.

Antigua and Barbuda Military

Saint John’s

Saint John’s, capital of Antigua and Barbuda, Caribbean; 22,200 residents (2012). Saint John’s, located on the north coast of Antigua, is a major port city and the largest city in the north of the Little Antilles, with about half of the country’s population and the bulk of the industry (rum, textiles, wood and metal products). The city has an international airport and has become a major tourist center, visited annually by hundreds of thousands of cruise and flight charter tourists.

Antigua and Barbuda

One of the Lesser Antilles, a British possession, located at 17 ° 6 ‘of lat. N. and at 61 ° 45 ′ of long. O. It has an area of ​​280 sq. Km., And is made up mostly of porphyritic rocks of the Cretaceous period, covered by powerful layers of tuffs, conglomerates, limestone and tertiary sands. Only in the south-western part of it rise hills just over 400 m high; otherwise it is low and flat. The coasts of Antigua are mostly high and rocky, fronted by rocks and jagged by bays and breasts, some of which are excellent natural harbors, such as English Harbor and St. John’s Harbor. English Harbor is less crowded, but it is wider and deeper than the latter. Antigua has no waterways and springs are scarce, so that the residents are largely forced to use the rainwater collected in the cisterns. Its morphological conditions and being almost completely bare of forests, which were destroyed, make it subject to frequent droughts. The rains are scarce and their quantity varies considerably from one year to the next. The climate, however, is overall good and favorable for chest patients.

Antigua’s population was 34,178. in 1901, and of 36,000 residents in 1921 (144 per sq. km.), mostly Negri. The island’s soil is fertile, especially in the interior; sugar cane, pineapples, citrus fruits, cotton are grown in particular, as are potatoes, maize and millet, which are used only for local consumption. The trade is active: Antigua exports sugar, molasses, pineapple, cotton, turtles. The capital of the island is St. John, a town of 3200 residents, In which the governor of the Leeward Islands and the General Legislative Council reside. There is also a 16-member Local Legislative Council. St. John is in a very picturesque position in the north-western part of the island, built on a hill overlooking one of the safest ports in the Antilles, through which almost all the traffic on the island passes. connected with the neighboring islands and with the mainland by means of an underwater telegraph cable. St. John has direct maritime communications with Great Britain, the United States and Canada. Other notable centers are Falmouth and Parham, both with good ports.

The islands of Barbuda and Redonda depend administratively on Antigua.

Antigua was discovered by Columbus in 1493, during his second voyage. The great Genoese gave it the name of Antigua in memory of the church of Santa Maria la Antigua, in Seville. The island remained uninhabited until 1632, when the English landed there and took possession of it. In 1666 it was conquered by the French, who after a few months had to give it back to the English.